Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Caché versus Crash

I went to see Caché this afternoon.

Apparently, racism among the bohemian bourgeoisie has a necessarily strict historical context. Most people of quality probably aren't racist at age 6; just jealous, selfish children. That is to say, I can't help but think that director Haneke gives his decidedly bourgeois audience a break by making the stalker's retributive actions against the film's hero a product of unfortunate events over which the characters have no control. When [N] asked me after watching Crash whether I thought people were really "that racist" I could honestly say "no one that I know." That said, everyone of our ilk knows the society Caché observes so casually. Also, Haneke needs to try and forget Heidegger when when he writes a film; a character's geworfenheit doesn't really make him any more lovable. That said, it's a fuckin' great movie. Unless you're American, stupid, or non-BoBo. No really, Caché is a fuckin' great movie.

No comments: